As usual, my MKTG 470 students at JMU completed a major course assignment using Google AdWords. The primary learning objective was to acquire hands-on experience using AdWords to drive traffic to any one of their own web pages and any one of their own blog posts of their choice.
Through this assignment, students developed some initial skills in paid search. With a total account budget of $25.00-$30.00 and a window of 14 possible days, students had an opportunity to learn how to structure accounts, create campaigns and Ad Groups, develop and manage keyword lists, utilize effective matching options, test ad copy using A/B testing, modify keyword bids, assess account performance, adjust daily budgets, utilize keyword tools, and much more. Through GoDaddy, students new to AdWords were able to utilize a $100 AdWords credit to complete this assignment.
I want to recognize a few students from my Fall 2013 Internet Marketing class for exceptional performance in a few key areas from this assignment.
- Best Overall Optimization Efforts: Carly Calhoon (9:30am section), Monika Kelpsaite (11:00am section), and Alexandra Aparicio (12:30pm section)
- Most Days of Account Optimization: Rachel Lam
- Highest Number of Clicks: Maggie Breitmayer
- Highest CTR: Ashleigh Rojanajonvse
- Best Budget Management: Rory Salzberger
- Best Ratio of Clicks to Avg. CPC: Mike Etemad