MKTG 477: Internet Marketing Practicum
(formerly MKTG 490 – Special Topics in Marketing)
- MKTG 477 is offered to undergraduates during the spring semester only. It counts as a marketing elective for all marketing majors. If you are not a marketing major, check with your advisor to see how this course might count within your academic plan.
- Classes meet from 2:00-5:30 on Fridays. There are a few extra classes prior to the start of the semester and over the holiday break. Be prepared to work very hard and invest a lot of time into this course.
- Completion of MKTG 470 is highly recommended, but not required. Permission of the instructor is required in order to gain acceptance into the course.
- Students MUST complete the GOMC Application to apply for one of the limited seats (usually 16 total) in the course.
- The spring 2015 semester application deadline is October 1, 2014 at 3:00 p.m. although applications are accepted any time of year.
- Applicants should be notified about their application status no later than October 20, 2014 by 3:00 p.m.
- Accepted students will be granted an override to register for MKTG 477 during the fall undergraduate pre-registration period.
- If accepted students do not register by November 1, 2014, they will lose their opportunity for a seat in the course. Overrides will be removed and given to students on the MKTG 477 wait list.
- Before the course begins, complete the following tasks:
- Learn About AdWords: View the AdWords Essentials Training – about 3 ½ hours of video.
- Review the GOMC Digital Marketing Course, particularly the section on Search Advertising.
- Study for the MKTG 477 Test in Week #2 (yes, the second week) of the course.
- Stay on top of AdWords changes.
- Try Using AdWords on your own website. I have developed an AdWords exercise that can be used on websites created in WordPress.org.
Pictured below are some of the very talented class survivors from the MKTG 477/490 Google Online Marketing Challenge (GOMC) undergraduate experience at James Madison University.
Coming soon…JMU Google Challenge Class of 2015!