In my R.I.P. GOMC (2008-2017) rant from Tuesday, I lamented that we created, we built, we learned, and we shared a competitive spirit through the Google Online Marketing Challenge.
And that is exactly what we will continue to do at JMU!
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 Google eliminated the GOMC. I cried and felt shocked.
On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 I was angry and felt depressed.
On Thursday, August 3, 2017 I accepted the situation and felt overwhelmed.
On Friday, August 4, 2017, I reconstructed my attitude and felt hopeful.
Thanks to many people who reached out to share ideas, I am motivated to take control of the situation and begin thinking about next steps to recreate a new learning experience. That experience must be carefully redefined and renewed with many variables to consider. Building on everything we learned and experienced through the GOMC, the working concept is hereafter referred to as the Madison Online Marketing Challenge (MOMC).
The MOMC represents my attempt to reconfigure the GOMC into a new learning experience. In time, the MOMC may grow into something much bigger, but for starters my goal is to serve existing JMU marketing students.
In the MOMC we probably will not have…
- …a guaranteed budget for each team that comes with no strings attached (the more likely scenario is that there will be some strings from the donor parties)
- …a proprietary algorithm that analyzes 50+ performance factors in an AdWords account
- …global competitors as a benchmark
- …Google’s substantial budget for amazing trips, digital devices, and other prizes including substantial donations to nonprofits
But, we will have…
- …more flexibility to design a learning experience not constrained by team size, campaign duration, time of year, type of campaign, client type, etc.
- …opportunity to create new course traditions by keeping the components we love and eliminating the ones that do not add learning value
- …continued relationships with our talented and loyal community of JMU-GOMC supporters
To the community of JMU-GOMC alums, practitioners, academic colleagues, and even my future students, please join me in recreating a new experience to educate JMU’s next generation of savvy digital marketers. Any and all ideas are welcome.